Thursday, December 15, 2011
Venting about parents who do not take the time think about child safety
Okay I just have to say that I am so tired of hearing and seeing that people leave their kids in cars unattended on purpose. Unbelievable. I am not talking about people who forget there kids accidentally and I won't even get into those unfortunately tragedies, because I am educated enough to know the reality distraction plays in our lives. But I am talking about people who leave their kids in the cars to go in and get a pizza, beer, pay for gas, or go into a store intentionally because they don't want to be bothered by getting them in and out of the car or even dumber leave their kids in the car because the kid fell asleep. Come on. Use your brain please. This summer I was picking my kids up from VBS and I saw a dad who had been in the back of the church for about 10 minutes walk back out to his car. I heard him say "Cmon kids, I left your baby brother in car". I was infuriated, it was already 100 degrees outside. He was not happy when I let him know that kids can die within 10 minutes in a hot car. He got in his car all pissy and drove away. But I just can't believe people are so dense. I am dense about a lot of things, but leaving your child intentionally unattended on a hot summer day really seems like a no brainer. The other thing about kids and vehicles that irritates me is when parents/caregivers don't take the time to put their child in the right car seat for their size and development level. Read up folks. Get the facts. The internet if filled with them and at least for Heaven's sake follow the law. These devices were designed to protect a child in the event of a crash based on statistics of children that died in crashes. DUH! You are not doing your child any favors by moving them from a 5 point harness car seat to a belt positioning booster when they are 2 or 3 years old. They are not developmentally ready. Know this: every time you make a move, it is a step down in safety...example from rear facing to forward facing is a step down in safety. From a 5 point harness to a booster= a step down in safety. A belt positioning booster to a seat belt = a step down in safety. Think. You are the parent and we live in a fallen world and you are the protector of your kid. Try a little harder. At least follow the laws, but better yet follow the recommendations. I just need to vent. I know none of us are perfect parents. I make mistakes by the minute, but I get ultra irritated when I see people and parents and grandparents being ignorant, relaxed, and just plain lazy when it comes to safety. Now not every one needs to be over the top like me, but some balance can be made for the safety of our children. If anyone ever has any real questions on car seat safety, I am here to answer. I may not have all the answers, but I can help you find current information. Child safety is a topic that is very dear to me and no question is dumb as long as you are taking the time to ask it. It those who think they know it all and blatantly don't care about keeping their kid safe that really get to me. The "it'll never happen to me" mentality is so annoying and idiotic. This issue crosses all socioeconomic levels. So read up folks and keep your kids safe. I just have to vent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment